OWAIN GLYNDWR COMMUNICATES

Promoting an interest in the history of Owain Glyndwr, the Welsh Son of Prophecy, his life, times and society and his great Welsh War of Independence;also promoting causes today in Glyndwr's spirit and promoting the flying of the Glyndwr flag on Sept 16 Glyndwr Day.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

A TYRANT? OWAIN GLYNDWR A TYRANT! So Thinks Visit Wales, WAG's New Tourism Agency.

..
Tyrant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In modern usage a tyrant is a single ruler holding vast, if not absolute power through a state or in an organization. The term carries modern connotations ...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrant - 42k - Cached - Similar pages and then there's: tyrannical - definition of tyrannical by the Free Online ... Definition of tyrannical in the Online Dictionary. Meaning of tyrannical. Pronunciation of tyrannical. Translations of tyrannical. tyrannical synonyms, ...www.thefreedictionary.com/tyrannical - 32k - Cached - Similar pages
.
Wow!!! This puts Glyndŵr at the same level as Caligula and perhaps Ghengis Khan, the latter actually being the 'national hero' of Mongolia, whom seem to treat their ''tyrant'' as a great historical figure and not as a Western view ''baddie''. My apologies to the people of Mongolia for using that 'T' word in respect of Mongolia's National Hero, who united the nomadic peoples of the Steppes and made it impossible for they to be conquered and colonized by potential invaders. A vast amount of material has been produced in regards to Ghengis Khan, and this history we may be more than a little familiar with; however, it's the contemporary stuff that you need to consider as, not only has the Mongolia of today adopted Ghengis Khan as a national hero but also, as an iconic representation to build a nation on by establishing a sense of Nationhood. All this is very relevant in regards to what Embassy Glyndŵr is working towards achieving in regards representation of our national hero, prince and liberator. So, I make no apolagies for introducing here a link to: MONGOL'S MODERN CONQUEST FROM OUTCAST TO ICON: GENGHIS KHAN'S ... MONGOL'S MODERN CONQUEST FROM OUTCAST TO ICON: GENGHIS KHAN'S RESURRECTION AT HOME The Boston Globe; 4/23/1990; Colin Nickerson, Globe Staff; 955 words; ...www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-8170681.html - 64k - Cached - Similar pages
.
Now, assuming that you've read the material in the link given above, read on and consider much which follows below, with the above in mind - noting, that I shall be drawing your attention to how they commemorate Ghengis Khan in Mongolia in comparison to the rather ''officially'' lame attempts in Wales to commemorate Owain Glyndŵr. Do note, released on 6 June 2008, an epic film 'MONGOL' about Ghengis Khan, Search for and view trailers on the web.
.
Now see: - Similar pages Welcome to VisitWales - The official site for visitors to Wales Searchable databases provide details about local attractions, accommodation and events.www.visitwales.com/ - 26k - Cached
.
Anyone who knows anything about Owain Glyndŵr knows that our national hero hardly fits the bill in regards to description of ''Tyrant' given in the aforenmentioned link. On a scale of one to ten, of comparison with 'tyrants in history' , Glyndŵr comes in at ZERO! So, why this tagging by VW? was it sloppy thinking, might be, as the 'time line' in which it appears, leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe, if I believed in conspiracy theories (which I do!) I would suspect an ulterior motive and hidden agenda, after all I have never seen or heard any of the colonial agencies such as VW et al ever refer to any of the ''Conquistadore! English Kings by the label of tyrant, have you! Anyway, his majesty Prince Owain has sent me the message below, as to how he thinks on it...
.
"Now, what have I done to be labeled a "tyrant"? I suppose I have been ruthless in rising up against over a century of English rule but it's we Welsh that suffered the tyranny of English Kings, Conquest and Colonization. So yes! ruthless but then the society we lived in then was a ruthless one and especially so when it came to war faring. Yes, I led raids and ransacked English Colonial Borough towns and attacked English Castles and yes, the the custodians of those towns and castles would pay the price if they did not surrender quick enough - but these are the rules of medieval warfare. Hanging 60 of the garrison of Radnor Castle may seem harsh in today's terms but do you think my 'Bare foot Doggis' got it any easier if captured by the English? Their war crimes and ethnic cleansing against our people has gone unpunished for centuries. So, yes, we Welsh may have over indulged a little with the payback but what do you expect? 'Every Dog Must Have It's Day'. My ''Barefoot Doggis'' may have gone O.T.T, now and then but remember where they are coming from. Yes! serfdom - and I helped to free them of this bondage. My 'national hero' status does not come from just being engaged in a struggle to liberate my homeland but also because, I was seeking to liberate our people from the Edwardian Settlement of 1284 that put the seal on our conquest and put the power of the castle and colonial borough town to oppress, exploit and rule over us.
.
Yes, ruthless but a Tyrant? or rather ''Tyrannical'', the same thing, lets not mince words. OK! nice to be called ''Charismatic'' - and I'm also good looking - and the beard's a real buzz with the ladies at court but, a TYRANT! I don't think so. Just why VISIT WALES labels me such I do not know, why not call me LIBERATOR? Anyway, take a look into the VW Website. Oh, I see there's quite a reasonable 'write up' on me along with Saint David but then you go and spoil it all in a 'Welsh History Time line' elsewhere, as seen here:
.
"1400 – Charismatic (but tyrannical) national hero Owain Glyndŵr begins his rebellion against King Henry IV. By 1404, he had summoned a parliament in Machynlleth, and crowned himself Prince of Wales. By 1408, Owain's ambitious plans ran out of steam, and this last real uprising against the English Crown was over".
.
Run out of steam! Who penned this? I was holding on to Cestyll Aberystwyth and Harlech until 1409, that might have been my last really 'major stand', but not a 'last stand'. I fought on in a guerrilla war untill 1416 until ill health made it impossible to carry arms, so I retired to Ogof Glyndŵr. However, my son Maredudd continued the guerrilla war right up to April 1421, when he conceded to peace but many Barefoot Doggis kept up the fight for years to come, one was hung in Trallwng Castle in 1422 and my Gwerin Owain Underground Resistance Movement continued the struggle right up to 1485 - but were fooled into joining the Tudor army on it's way to Bosworth, the consequences of which were not in our favour in the long run.
.
Your past, present and future Prince.

Owain Glyndwr

By grace of God Tywysog Cymru Owain IV.

******************************
There, is much on that VW site that needs some 'nationalist attention' such as the 'non' presentation and promotion of much medieval material like the years of 'Conquest and Colonization' but Glyndwr does not need not ride out of his cave just yet to personally challenge VW about any of this injustice, as the ex-Embassy Glyndŵr Staff Researcher is doing a good job of this in his three history blogs: I'R GAD - Welsh Battlefield Campaign at http://brwydr.blogspot.com/ Brenhinol Cymru at http://brenhinolcymu.blospot.com/ and in YMGYRCH TREFTADAETH at http://ymgyrchtrefdtadaeth.blogspot.com/ . I suggest you visit these sites for a critical appraisal as to how the 'colonial agencies' are dealing with our history. However, I am calling upon you, Pobl Glyndŵr - my loyal compatriots to assist in dealing with this ''Tyrannical tripe" a chance to do so is coming up...
.
16 Medi ,'Dydd Glyndŵr', is almost here! so, why not copy the card below 'Glyndŵr's Grand Slam!' and send on an e-mail far and wide, especially to VISIT WALES & WAG with your Glyndŵr Day Greetings but also stressing the point...

'Glyndwr is our National Hero, no way a Tyrant but certainly a LIBERATOR, so please remove the offending word ''Tyrannical'' and replace it with LIBERATOR or much loved popular prince, proved by the fact that he remains the most popular of princes in the history of a land with many princes'.
.
.
Perhaps some one at VW did not like the fact that the Welsh rugby team won the Grand Slam this year? Congratulations lads, you sure do run, dodge and dive just like my ''Barefoot Doggis''. I had a good grand slam myself; don't want to boast about it but the results are on the card above as you can see.
.
A last word from Tywysog Owain: I am always present at the Millennium Stadium to spur our gallant boys on against the old enemy; you may have heard me and my 'Barefooted Doggis' cheering them on but, I get really angry when I see those 'three feathers' of the English Kings and Princes being worn by our so called National Rugby Team on their shirts and caps. Don't you all realise this is an icon of the opposing country, England, and badge of those English Pretenders that have usurped my title !!! So, I have to remind you again, to go and view previous posts in the Blog OWAIN GLYNDWR COMMUNICATES and get rid of these feathers once and for all". Owain IV.
.
O well, I can't compete with that can I.
.
Siân.